Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Tiger



There's been quite a bit of press lately about the doings of one Mr. Tiger Woods and whether his inability to avoid roadside hazards should keep him from being a respected member of the golfing community. There's been all kinds of talk about the guy "disappointing all the young people that looked up to him."
I'm a nurse, and I've worked with quite a few nurses who have personal lives. I honestly don't think that their conduct at home makes them a better or worse medical professional. Likewise, Mr. Woods is still a great golfer, just as he was a great golfer during all this time when he was putting around.
So why has he lost all his sponsors? Why does he no longer get paid to pretend he loves to shave with Gillette razors or dress up in Nike dresses or eat Sony televisions? It's because he's now more famous for being a guy who cheats on his wife than he is for being a golfer.
Well, maybe that's unfair. He's famous for being a golfer who cheats on his wife. . . a LOT.
The same thing is true about politicians. If a politician gets caught cheating, people stop liking or voting for him. Why is that? It's not like people can't do their job and be unfaithful at the same time.
Well, I think it's a matter of trust. When you're a public figure, with responsibilities that impact the lives of other people, you have to a least appear to be good person.
Honestly, that's one of the things that made me prefer our current president over his opponents in both the primary and general elections. That Hillary lady stuck with he unfaithful husband for what seemed to me to be political reasons. That McCain fellow dumped his wife after he got back from war for a much younger, buxom beer-heiress. That Obama guy seems to be a fairly devoted husband and father. That might not make him the best president that ever lived, but it's a step toward being a good person.

5 comments:

  1. ...um...
    What they do in their personal lives is of no concern, but that's why I didn't like John McCain...? I don't follow...

    I didn't like him because he has freakishly stubby arms.

    Other than that, you're spot on. If your wife can't trust you, I can't trust you. That's why I can't stand Newt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't trying to say it's of no concern. I was trying to say that it's possible to "do your job" and function as a senator or a president, or a garbage man, and also have a dysfunctional personal life. I'm sure there's a fair number of congressmen who have managed to keep their affairs quiet and still legislate (if any of them do). But if I know that a person isn't always trustworthy, I'm not going to want him or her making decisions that impact me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on your job. I personally don't care if an athlete has good moral standards because that really doesn't have anything to do with his (or her) job. However, I do care if the people making laws and representing me and the rest of the country in government positions have good moral values because that is SUPPOSED to be part of their jobs - doing what's morally right. What is morally right seems to be just a matter of opinion these days, but still. Not one of the guys running for office ever says, "I'm don't claim to have good values, but please vote for me anyway." They present themselves as good people who are honest and trustworthy and will make good decisions based on good motives. This makes their trustworthiness relevant to their job. Integrity is not selective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If integrity is not selective, then everyone has the obligation to have integrity, regardless of their celebrity or anonymity, their wealth or poverty, their education or ignorance. The devastation we see around us, around the world, in all societies is directly caused by a lack of integrity.
    Wall Street greed >>>>>>> recession.
    Insurance company greed >>>> health care crisis.
    AIDS >>>>>> promiscuity and IV drug abuse
    My god hates you >>>>> wars in Afghanistan & Iraq.
    Corrupt politicians >>>>>> poverty in Haiti, Bangladesh, Somalia, North Korea, America.
    I need sex & hate women >>>>> rape.
    Your stuff is my stuff >>>>>> robbery, burglary, organized crime, muggings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't finished:
    I get to have sex with anyone, anywhere, anytime >>>>>>> destruction of the family, fatherless children living in poverty, AIDS

    ReplyDelete